We started the class with a chocolate cupcake recipe and while that was baking we moved on to a vanilla bean recipe. When they were both in the oven, we learned how to make a chocolate ganache and unbelievable meringue buttercream frosting. We filled both the chocolate and vanilla cupcakes with the ganache and learned how to apply the buttercream like a pro.
Tips that I learned:
- If your cake recipe comes out too dry, add an extra egg yolk next time for added moisture
- You don't have to mix a batter to death, in fact it's OK to have some lumps
- It actually matters when you add certain ingredients
- Keep all ingredients at room temperature
- When adding flour and milk, begin and end with the flour
- Also place a cookie sheet/pan underneath your cupcake trays so that the bottom of the cupcake's don't burn
- Bring to simmer 1lb butter and 2 cups water. Cool and add 1 cup cold water and 1 cup cocoa powder
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 1/2 cups flour, 3 3/4 cups sugar, 2 tsps baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Pour butter mixture onto dry ingredients and mix until smooth with a wooden spoon. Whisk in 4 eggs and 1 egg yolk. Add 1 cup sour cream.
- Bake at 350 until knife comes out clean.
More photos from Abby