Similar to the making of alcohol, lavender is distilled in order to capture the essential oil. As you can imagine, it smelled lovely. Take a look:
Below are some interesting lavender factoids that I learned from the team at Ajne Pure Essentials, which grows and harvests lavender on their farm in Carmel, California and offers their beauty products at the hotel:
- There are approximately 39 different lavender species and over 300 variations.
- An infusion of lavender is claimed to soothe and heal insect bites and bunches of lavender are also said to repel insects.
- If applied to the temples, lavender oil is said to soothe headaches.
- Lavender is frequently used as an aid to sleep and relaxation: Flowers buds of the plant are added to pillows.
- Lavender oil is claimed to heal acne.
- Lavender will grow in nearly any climate - with the likely exception of the arctic. It does best in Mediterranean climates though.